Sunday, July 1, 2012

And our figurehead is not what she seems

We're all British now, apparently.

I spent part of Canada Day in a pub watching the festivities on Parliament Hill. It began with a singing of God Save the Queen. On the Google Doodle for today, there was a beaver wearing a crown. These are very recent developments.

I am committed believer in democracy. I've held a lukewarm opinion of the monarchy, which in recent years has turned negative since Harper has decided to ram the monarchy down the country's throat. Harper has been playing the pro-monarchy card so cynically if I were a member of the royal family I'd be insulted.

I don't get the warm fuzzies when the head of state of another country comes over to wave at us once every four years or so. Yes, Canada has always been under some form of monarchy---so what? Its part of our history (at least, part of the history of a third of the population: ask a French Canadian or Aboriginal what they think), and, again, so what? A proper study of history reveals what deservedly should be left in the past.

Frankly, the monarchy has never unified us. Quebec has loathed the Queen since day one, and, seventh generation English Canadian grandson of an Orangewoman me, the number of people who consider themselves English Canadians are dwindling as we embrace a new identity as a multicultural nation.

We make our own policy without the blessings of the Queen which makes me wonder why we should entertain the illusion---respect her as a foreign head of state, yes, but as the head of state of Canada? Really?

I don't like the idea of being a constitutional monarchy because it shows we are not a real country but a British protectorate, and I do not like one bit the idea that  family of people by virtue of birth has acquired the right to be the head of state. No, they hold no real power---which makes my opinion of them worse since not only are they foreign and redundant but powerless.

I believe Canada must, and indeed one day will, discontinute the practise of constitutional monarchy. Removing them from Canadian politics will be thorny and hard but one day this country will remove the crown from Canadian politics.

What have they contributed? Nothing What do I think they deserve?

No comments:

Post a Comment